Pages

Cookie Making Made Easy my busy-Mom method

In the early 1970s, when I was very young and with small children to look after, I a few cookie recipes I would make very often, because they were simple recipes with ingredients I normally had at hand. Cookies are a great snack, do not require tools to pick and eat and can be made up for a party. However, even with all that, they are just not my favorite thing to do, because they must be carried out either by dropping individually on baking sheet, rolling and cutting (make a mess on the counter and more cleanup) or it's often fortified with the step to chill the dough before work. I immediacy. I want to mix a recipe, bake it, clean up and be done.

One morning I made a batch of these cookies, finally popped the last pan in the oven and set the timer. Itching to get outside for a bit and see what kids do, I went out ... and got distracted. When I remembered the cookies in the oven, they had burned and reduced to tiny little black hockey find pucks-not even dogs had any interest in them! It pays not to get distracted when baking. This was the last straw. I did think of a better way.

I came up with a brilliant idea that I call my "Busy-Mom method"; I use today. Instead of using the time to do all the individual cookies by parties, with separate baking times (and time to get distracted), I would roll the cookie dough directly onto a greased baking sheet, work it evenly to the edges and baking it as one large cookie. It is best to use a baking sheet that has three open sides, as it is simpler to maneuver the rolling pin and cookie rolled evenly. Also, remember that a little more flour in the dough may be necessary to lift it out and forms into a rough rectangle of rolling. A little extra flour over the surface while rolling also helps to keep the rolling pin from sticking. Try not to add any more flour than absolutely necessary, or the cookies will come out, closer and more difficult.

It takes a few minutes more in the oven with one big cookie, but it comes all the way out. Just look to the edges are golden and center must be specified. With these cookies make me a simple icing, which is just 1 ½ cups confectioners ' sugar, a pinch of salt, ½ teaspoon of vanilla and enough water or milk to make a fairly thick consistency (very slow to fall from the spoon). Spread over the warm cookie straight from the oven. Hot cookie heater icing making it MELT and spread easily, using the back of the same spoon I used to mix the icing. I am all for less cleanup! When the cookie cools, the finishing dryer and ensure better, and I cut the same cookie in small bore or square shapes, and such; cookies in half the time! Two of my favorite recipes for this method was Hermits and Simple vanilla Cookies. If you are a busy mom, try this method with some simple cookie dough. Hermit cookies had raisins in them, but the thickness of the dough was not less than the thickness of the raisins, so it still worked well.

Simple Vanilla Cookies

Makes about 7 dozen

1 cup unsalted butter

2/3 cup sugar

2 teaspoons vanilla extract

1 teaspoon salt

2 eggs

2 ¾ cups all-purpose flour

Cream butter, shortening and sugar. Add vanilla and salt. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each. Stir in flour, mix well. Drop from a teaspoon 2 inches apart on a greased cookie sheet. Flatten with floured, flat bottomed glass. Bake in a 375 degree oven for 8-10 minutes. Remove immediately from pan.

These Simple vanilla Cookies are incredibly good, from a simple recipe. Do not take my word-try them, either as individual cookies, or with my "busy-mom method."

Chris Rawstern PhotoMy name is Chris Rawstern and I have been on a journey, cooking and baking for 42 years. Many people have asked what does, A harmony of flavors. Have you ever had a meal, where the Visual presentation was fantastic, the smell was incredible, the taste was so remarkable that you ate slowly, savoring each bite who wants experience would never end? So you have seen a truly balanced meal can be like. My passion is to teach people how to create a harmony of flavors with their cooking, and help pass along my love and joy of food, both simple and exotic, plain or fancy. I continue my trip in ethnic and national kitchens, trying new things. I would love to hear from you, to help me to continue my quest to explore the different culinary experiences and hopefully you will start on a journey of your own. Visit my site http://www.aharmonyofflavors.com/or on Facebook. I will send you a copy of my monthly news letter full of recipes for latest tips.

No comments:

Post a Comment