Pages

Herb Rubbed Sirloin Tip Roast

IMG_2594-1

I make sirloin tip roasts a lot.  I can still purchased a sirloin tip roast on sale here for $2.49 a lb. which is much less than chuck or similar cuts.  I also like that a sirloin tip roast can actually be roasted instead of pot roasted if that is what I want to do with it.

Recently I was looking for a new recipe and found Herb Rubbed Sirloin Tip Roast over at allrecipes.  I changed the ingredients some and gave the recipe a try.  I liked that the seasonings were mixed with the olive oil which made a nice paste that was easy to apply with a pastry brush. This is a method that I am going to adopt for other rubbed meats.   We liked it a lot, and I will be making this roast often.  The rub has a bit of a kick to it, so omit the chipotle and reduce the cayenne pepper if it is too much.
 
I do like to stud my roasts with garlic which gives the meat a subtle garlic flavor.,  You can see the pieces of garlic in the slices in the photo.   My hubby likes his meat well done, and I like medium rare.  To compromise when making a roast, I usually cook the meat until it is medium, than he takes his slices from the outside, and I take mine from the middle.

Herb Rubbed Sirloin Tip Roast
adapted from allrecipes

2 t. regular paprika
1 t. smoked paprika
1 T. kosher salt (1 t. if using regular table salt)
1 t. dried dill weed crushed
1 t. garlic powder
1/2 t. onion powder
1/2 t. freshly ground black pepper
1/4 t. freshly ground chipotle chili  seasoning (This is a Spice Island Grinder product), optional
1/4 t. cayenne pepper (increase to 1/2 t. if not using the chipotle)
1/2 t. dried thyme, crushed
1/2 t. ground oregano
2 T. olive oil
1 (3 lb.) sirloin tip roast
1 to 2 cloves garlic, thinly sliced

Combine seasoning ingredients and olive oil.  Let stand for 15 minutes.  Meanwhile poke slits in the meat with a knife and insert the garlic slices into the slits.  Cut the garlic slices in half if necessary.  Place the roast on a foil-lined roasting pan.  Spread the seasoning paste on all surfaces of the meat.  Place in a 350 degree oven and roast to at least a temperature of 145 degrees for rare.  This will take at least one hour, longer for beef that is more well done.  Let stand 15 minutes before serving.  Serves 8 or more.

Linking to Hunk of Meat Monday

No comments:

Post a Comment