Pages

Rhubarb Streusel Shortbread Bars-Saturday Sweets

This is one of the recipes I promised last week when I shared a recipe for Easy, Versatile Rhubarb Sauce.   It is no secret that I am the Cookie Monster’s grandmother and will always choose cookies over other desserts if given the choice.  So although, there are rhubarb pies, cakes, breads, etc.  what I really wanted to make was a rhubarb bar cookie.

Last year I posted a recipe for Rhubarb Dream Bars I really love, so decided to use the base from that recipe for a new cookie.  The Rhubarb Dream bars take six eggs.  I wanted a recipe that did not take any eggs so that I could make it even if I did not have any eggs on hand.  That was when I decided to see if the Easy, Versatile Rhubarb Sauce would work as a filling for a bar cookie.  I then decided to top the whole thing with a streusel topping.  I did not use nuts in the topping, but they certainly could be included if desired.

My “professional taste testers” (hubby and coworkers) gave this one a “10.”  In fact one coworker liked these so much she is supplying me with free rhubarb.   

These bars are tender and more of a “tea party” cookie than a lunchbox cookie.


Rhubarb Streusel Shortbread Bars
1 recipe Easy, Versatile Rhubarb Sauce, cooled
2 c. flour
3/4 c. confectioner’s sugar
1 c. butter or margarine (I use butter)
3/4 c. flour
3/4 c. quick oats
1/2 c. brown sugar
1/2 c. butter or margarine (I use butter)

In a large mixing bowl, combine flour and sugar and mix well.  Slice butter into flour/sugar mixture and cut in with pastry blender or two knives until mixture resemble coarse meal.  Dump mixture into the center of a foil-lined 10x15-inch baking pan.  Spread and pat mixture out into an even layer in pan.  Bake at 350 degrees 15 minutes or until a very light brown.  While base is baking, mix flour, quick oats, and brown sugar in a medium mixing bowl.  Slice butter into this mixture and cut in with pastry blender or two knives until mixture resembles small peas.  Remove base from oven and let stand 5 minutes.  Spread rhubarb sauce over base in an even layer.  Sprinkle topping evenly over the rhubarb sauce and pat in gently with your hands.  Bake at 350 degrees for 20 to 25 minutes or until golden brown.  Remove from oven and let cool in pan on rack.  Cut into bars.  Makes about 48 bars.  Store covered in single layer in refrigerator.




Sharing with these great parties:
Weekend Potluck
Party Junk
Weekend Bloggy Reading
Share Your Creativity
Strut Your Stuff

No comments:

Post a Comment